Srinivasa Aiyangar Ramanujan was born in a poor Brahmin family of south India on 22nd December, 1887. Because of his poor existing conditions, he had to start his career as a clerk . But the quest in him did not allow him to stop there, instead he used to devise mathematical problems himself and solve them.
Srinivasa Ramanujan was one of the greatest mathematicians India has ever produced. When he was 15 years old, he obtained a copy of George Shoobridge Carr's Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics.He verified the resulrs in Carr's book and developed his own theorems. In 1903, he secured a scholarship from the University of Madras.He continued with his work in extreme poverty without employment inspite of his acute poverty. He got married in 1909 and began to search for permanent employment and after a few days, he was appointed as a clerk in the Madras port trust.
Ramanujan published his first research papers in the journal of the Indian Mathematical Society in the year 1911. The genius in him slowly gained popularity and then in 1913 he began a correspondence with the British mathematician Godfrey H.Hardy. Prof. Hardy, would not acknowledge the works of people easily, but in case of Ramanujan, he rated his genius to be 100 points completely. Ramanujan was given a special scholarship from the University of Madras and a grant from Trinity College, Cambridge. In 1914, he went to England and Prof. Hardy tutored him privately and collaborated with him in some research.
Ramanujan's genius was unrivalled. He worked out the Riemann series, the elliptic integrals, hypergeometric series, the functional equations of the Zeta function and his theory of divergence series. In England, advanced series of work in mathematical field was made by him in the partition of numbers. His papers were published in English and European journals. IN 1918 he became the firest Indian to be elected as a Fellow to the Royal Society of London.
In 1917, Ramanujan got tuberculosis and so he returned to INdia. He died at Chelput in Madras on 26th April, 1920.